Beware of Foreclosure Rescue Scams
There is never a fee to get assistance or information about Making Home Affordable from your lender or a HUD-approved housing counselor.
- Do not sign any papers that you don’t fully understand, or you could make bad matters worse.
- Do not sign any papers that you feel pressured into signing. Take your time.
- Beware of any person or organization that asks you to pay a fee in exchange for housing counseling services or modification of a delinquent loan. Do not pay – walk away!
- Beware of anyone who says they can “save” your home if you sign or transfer over the deed to your house. Do not sign over the deed to your property to any organization or individual unless you are working directly with your mortgage company to forgive your debt.
- Never submit your mortgage payments to anyone other than your mortgage company without their approval.
The Obama Administration has launched a coordinated effort across federal and state government and the private sector to target mortgage loan modification fraud and foreclosure rescue scams that threaten to hurt American homeowners and prevent them from getting the help they need during these challenging times. Click here for more information.